Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. – Sam Keen
It’s a hot one outside, after a rather chilly day yesterday (with one wicked thunderstorm in the middle, at least in western Queens County, Nova Scotia). This post is late because I’m back from another weekend camping trip – this time to the amazing Thomas Raddall provincial park at Port Joli.
I feel like mid-summer is approaching – scary since it feels like summer just started – but as hodge-podge season starts and the first of the corn is coming soon (I am one of those people that marks the year by what I am likely to find on my plate) I find myself starting to get to my own “end of year” restlessness of wanting to get things done. My birthday is at the end of August, and so my theory is that I start to want to get ready for a new start. I’m a list maker by nature, and here are some upcoming to-do’s that need to get done.
- Finish putting together the summer edition of Lovelights. I’m editor of RWAC’s newsletter, which goes out quarterly.
- Finish the edit of Beauty. This is huge, I realize. Even as I write it, I’m getting this kind of scared, sick feeling in my belly. But I haven’t been in my normal writing mode for the past week, and I have really gotten my act together with opening chapters, so I have accomplished a lot. I just have so much more to do. Besides, I want to start writing my next book in September.
- Preserve. Zucchini relish, blueberry jam, chutney of some kind. When I was doing my master’s thesis I made jam as a sort of therapy, because when you are doing something as long and cerebral as writing, it’s nice to be able to chop, boil and boil some more until you have a jar of something tangible you can put on your shelf.
- Spend a day at beautiful Prescott House Museum with writer Donna Alward and talk about writing (and do a little ourselves). Donna and I are doing a one day workshop on Finding your muse, and I can’t think of a better place to do that than in the beautiful Annapolis Valley in the summer. If you’re interested, you can find out more here. Love to see you there!
- Find some good books and read. I feel like I’m in a bit of a reading funk right now, I can’t find anything that I can really get into. That may speak to my frame of mind more than the books. Maybe some nice magazines will do. I may have to dig out my old Victoria magazines…
That’s my little summer to-do list. Anything on yours?